Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Help.....

I am a huge believer in reading the book before seeing the movie, so when I saw that The Help was coming to theaters I decided it was time to read the book......AND I could NOT put it down!!  Before I go any further though, I must apolgize to my children because when I get this obsessed with reading a book I tend to do the bare minimum.  Luckily for them, I am a super fast reader!  LOL. 

The Help

This book was so great! I absolutely loved how the book was told from three different perspectives--I always find that this narrative approach is engaging as well as super effective, especially in a book that is dealing with a subject matter that is very dynamic. 

At first the book was sort of hard to stomach because I just felt so disgusted at the behavior of the white characters (minus Skeeter's of course).  It is still so hard for me to believe that human beings treated other human beings like that.  I mean seriously, having a second bathroom for the help because colored people carry diseases that can make white people sick....seriously, how did that sort of logic exhist???  So after I got over myself, I read the book for what it is--a story about how three women--two black and one white--worked together to tell their stories and make their lives better.  And how in doing this, it proved that "We are just two people.  Not that much seperates us. Not nearly as much as I thought."

The Help had me crackin' up one moment, crying the next.  It was excellent!  And I just have to say, Minnie's revenge is a just reward for Miss Hilly's behavior!

Hope you pick this book up if you haven't already!! 

Michelle



No comments:

Post a Comment