Wednesday, August 01, 2012

The 19th Wife......

I started this on Sunday and just finished a few minutes ago......

The 19th Wife

I LOVED this book.  Loved.  The 19th Wife is a historical saga meets modern day mystery.  And I mean that literally.  You get both a sweeping, epic story set in the nineteenth century and a who-done-it set in the twenty first.  And the author, David Ebershoff,  weaves them together so perfectly that I had a hard time reminding myself this was a work of fiction. 

The 19th Wife tells the stories of Jordan Scott, who is searching  for the truth when his mother  (a 19th wife) is accused of murdering his polygamist father and Ann Eliza Young, Brigham Young's 19th wife.   Both stories really explore polygamy and it's consequences in both a historical and modern setting.  Super interesting stuff, especially because the foundation of the novel is based on fact and/or versions of the truth. 

Great book.  So great, I am off to Google to do my own research on the topic...

Michelle



No comments:

Post a Comment